Saturday, July 10, 2010

The Way Of The Bodhisattva 1.1-1.4

I am now on the book 'No Time To Lose' written by Pema Chodron, a guide to Shantideva 'The Way of the Bodhisattva'(Bodhicharyavatara). In conjunction with this I shall be sharing the verses that I'm currently studying, and will be doing this until I finish the book. For Chapter 9 on Wisdom, I will be studying from another book ' Transcendent Wisdom' written by H.H. The Dalai Lama, after I finish this book. May everyone who read this reap its benefits in life.

Chapter 1 The Excellence of Bodhichitta

1.1

To those who go in bliss, the Dharma they have
     Mastered, and to all their heirs,
To all who merit veneration, I bow down.
According to tradition, I shall now in brief describe
The entrance to the bodhisattva discipline.


1.2

What I have to say has all been said before,
And I am destitute of learning and of skill with words.
I therefore have no thought that this might be of benefit
     to others;
I wrote it only to sustain my understanding.

1.3

My faith will thus be strengthened for a little while,
That I might grow accustomed to this virtuous way.
But others who now chance upon my words,
May profit also, equal to myself in fortune.

1.4

So hard to find such ease and wealth
Whereby to render meaningful this human birth!
If now I fail to turn it to my profit,
How could such a chance be mine again?

No comments:

Post a Comment